SETTLEMENT – Information, Orientation, Referral and Counselling
If you are a newcomer to Canada, HMC Settlement Specialists can provide you with a variety of services that you may require upon your arrival. Multilingual Settlement Specialists provide information and guidance on matters such as accessing social services, education, health care, housing, employment, immigration issues, community programs and recreational facilities.
HMC is in partnership with Halton District School Board and Halton Catholic District School Board to offer settlement services to newcomer families in Halton schools. The Youth Settlement Program helps families stay connected with schools, accelerates the settlement process and promotes student achievement.
For more information or to book an appointment with a settlement specialist please contact or walk in to any of our offices. Below is a list of some of the services offered through settlement.
- Group and individual orientation
- Assistance with basic needs
- Information about getting Health Card and Social Insurance Number
- Help in finding affordable housing
- Short term adjustment counselling
- Information on local resources and facilities
- Help with financial budgeting
- Information regarding rights, entitlements, responsibilities, education, health coverage, transportation and more
- Assistance with finding and enrolling in school or training programs
- Advocacy on behalf of the client with professionals (service provider, doctor, court, lawyer, etc.)
- Preparation for employment in Canada
- Assessing eligibility for social services and financial assistance
- Other activities which facilitate the settlement process
- Support with review of Immigration applications
- Citizenship Workshops
- Parenting Information/Workshop
- Assistance in settlement for newcomer families into the Halton school system
- Interpretation and Translation – please visit the Connections website for more information
North Oakville: 905-257-1555
Commissioners of Oath Services are offered at no cost by appointment only. Please contact Norma Prado firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-842-2486 ext. 240 for more information or to book an appointment.
Our Settlement Specialist speak a variety of languages and we try to serve you in your language preference whenever we can. Settlement speaks the following languages:
|German||Pashtu – Dari||Farsi – Persian|
Additionally our Interpretation and Translation services can offer over 130 languages.
Youth Settlement In Schools
How to connect a family with Youth Settlement Worker?
- Find Youth Settlement Program Binder in your school’s main office or Principal’s office
- Have family fill out and sign consent form located in binder.
- Fax consent form to (905) 842-8807 “Attention Youth Settlement Program”
- Upon receiving the consent form HDSB / consent form HCDSB, a YSW will establish contact with the newcomer family and meet with them at their child’s school
How can teachers get feedback from the Youth Settlement Specialist?
- After meeting with the students’ family, the Youth Settlement Specialist will provide a communication sheet to the related teacher.