The Transitional Housing for Newcomers to Halton – program funded by The Region of Halton (Homeless Partnering Strategy) introduces a temporary housing option for eligible newcomers in the community.
Since 2004, The Halton Multicultural Council has offered Burlington based apartments and townhouses for families and individuals who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. HMC provides temporary accommodation while residents search for permanent housing in Halton. This program has provided the first home for many families who chose to make Halton their home.
Admission CriteriaCurrent Opportunities
Before placing a family into our temporary accommodation, the steering committee will choose the family based on the following guidelines:
- Homeless or at risk of homelessness
- May be a whole family or a sole support person with children
- May have explored other accommodation alternatives
- Must be a legal immigrant (Permanent Resident – PR Card Holder, Refugee Claimant, Convention Refugee) or Canadian Citizen
- Placement is up to 12 weeks with a possibility of extension: Rental Agreement is signed every three months with possibility of extension to up to one year.
- At least one adult member of the family should have a level 6+ proficiency in English.
- Secured source of income.
The Transitional Housing program is currently accepting applications for a 3 bedroom house and a 2 bedroom apartment in South West Burlington, available for occupancy on March 1st and March 15th, respectively.
If you are interested in applying for one of these opportunities, please speak with your settlement worker.
Applications will be accepted until Thursday February 8th.
For more information please contact:
Transitional Housing Coordinator
(905) 842-2486 ext. 243
(905) 483-4893 (mobile)
Project Funded by: Halton Region